The financial gain is huge if the analyzers are accurate. We are facing too many resource- and technical barriers. This prevents us from quite reaching the yield we know is possible. We want to achieve the full potential. AnalyticTrust provide us with efficient management of our instruments and we are on the way to realize this goal.
About Arla Foods
With €10 billion in revenues, Arla is the 7th largest dairy and handles more than 13 billion tons of milk. With 70 production sites Arla is present in most regions in the world. 12 thousand farmers in 7 countries own Arla.
Arla is constantly striving to improve efficiency in all areas of its operation. With large production volumes and low profit margins, personnel productivity and an efficient production is essential to sustain the high growth the company has achieved during the last decade.
The AnalyticTrust project key objectives are:
- Ensure and improve the highest quality of analytical results from the analyzers. Through special projects run by Global Analysis department, Arla know, that despite the high efforts, calibration models can be improved.
- Enhance collaboration between Production and QA. If Arla can implement trusted tools and processes for rapid change, production units will receive a better basis for their decisions.
- Increase personnel productivity. Dairies like Arla are under constant pressure to work as efficient as possible. Global and consistent work processes and methods have to be implemented.
- Grow profit margins from production by improving utilization of raw material properties. From the Milk Balance report Arla understand the potential margin loss and the different efficiency levels between the individual factories. Calibration reports and the implementation of global quality analysis plans increase the overall profitability.
- Current tools for calibration models were insufficient. As a global company Arla lacked a universal tool for management control of their analyzers.
- To accommodate the objectives of the project, Arla needed to implement single unified standard operational procedures throughout the entire organization and support them with a single process centric tool.
- It was important that the solution was positioned around the needs from the lab technicians and the instrument operators.
- Potentially Arla needed a solution that included instruments from all providers.
- Finally the solution must easily integrate with Arla’s main production system, SAP.
Arla examined the market for a total analysis management control and calibration tool. First they looked to their incumbent suppliers, but finally Arla chose to work with AnalyticTrust because of their customer centric approach and their partnership with Biopro – a biotech cluster.
A pilot was established with a management steering committee and a project group including members from Supply Chain, Global Analysis and AnalyticTrust.
The pilot encompassed 25 instruments from different suppliers resided in 4 countries and 6 production sites. Some of Arla’s main product lines where included and actual production data was used.
The pilot ran for 5 months in with the project group met twice for 2-day evaluation and training sessions. On schedule the pilot was concluded and roll out into full production is planned.
Roll-out to entire organization will take less than one year and cover well above 200 instruments.
- AnalyticTrust provide Arla with real global control and information for all calibration assurance activities on their analyzers.
- Increased productivity and improved quality with fewer fluctuations.
- Comparison of instrument and factory performance leads the way for unified processes and perfected production routines.
- Global calibration reports enhance information and inspire closer collaboration between departments and factories.
- Better basis for new project focus areas and decisions.
- Specific support to in-line instruments.
AnalyticTrust is a total analysis management control software tool. It is based on the demand from Biopro member companies to easily improve trusted calibration models. AnalyticTrust covers global quality assurance processes and integrates instruments from different manufactures.